Academic Skill Deficits
1. Dyslexia, or reading difficulties, effects about 80% of children with learning challenges.
- They may have difficulty decoding words, reading fluently, as well as comprehending text.
- Writing may also be difficult, which includes organizing thoughts, putting ideas into sequence and using grammar, punctuation and spelling appropriately.
2. Dyscalculia, or difficulty with math, is also common among children with learning challenges.
- This may include difficulty with mental math, transposing digits, failing to line up numbers properly in an equation or omitting steps in a math problem.
Fortunately, there are strategies and accommodations that will help your child cope with his or her learning challenges, including implementing the right modifications and accommodations at school to help him learn, supporting the development of his interests and strengths, helping him understand his challenges, and providing him with support and understanding.